Sunday 16 October 2011

The blogging continues!

Another Friday in the computer lab and another success - as far as this educator can tell!  This week the students' goal was the following:
  1. Explain in your own words what a square number is.  Provide examples of a perfect square and its square root.
  2. Find 3 helpful websites/videos that can provide additional information on squares and square roots.
  3. Find at least 1 fun game/application that allows students to practice their squares and square roots.
Upon observing the students I saw many fully engaged in fun and curriculum-linked activities that had them deepening their understanding of squares and square roots.  Students that did not find themselves motivated with a pencil and paper now could not answer the questions fast enough.  A few of the ones that they enjoyed the most:
Squares/Square Root Tic Tac Toe : http://www.funbrain.com/cgi-bin/ttt.cgi
A teacher website with two possible games: http://missleemath.blogspot.com/2008/09/square-number-games.html
An information site: http://www.helpingwithmath.com/by_subject/algebra/alg_squares01.htm

These are just a few of the sites that they found - I will post them on my math resources page as well!

As I watched these Math 8 students work so hard on their blogs it made me appreciate the power of letting go of my own "teacher power" and giving ownership to each individual student.  For more information of the importance and logistics of student blogs, click here

A huge thank you to my Math 8's for working so hard at these blogs and showing me the importance of allowing them to lead.  They always exceed my already high expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment